Discussion in 'Bethany Ride' started by y2ktm, Mar 21, 2018.
Yes it is!
Is the Bethany Ride date set in stone? has it ever been pushed forward due to weather or trail conditions?
I was thinking the same thing. Crazy ice and snow out there. Hope the trails will be rideable next weekend!
will be interesting, esp after 100 bikes pass the same trails... Most of the ice SHOULD melt if these (slightly) above zero temperatures hold and rain keeps.coming down, but certainly promises to be an epic mud fest!
Registered now so hoping the dual sport ride is passable.
Can someone confirm the location of the Highland Restaurant as mentioned on the flyer. Is it the Hyland Family restaurant in Port Perry?
Yes, that is it.
Anyone heading out from downtown TO? On bike or trailer? If on trailer any space to rent for a DRZ?
I'll be leaving from High Park area on my WR250R around 7:00am. I want to avoid DVP and 401 so I'll likely take Lakeshore Blvd->Kingston Rd and head up north from somewhere near 401. I have an old DS route somewhere from Tim Hortons at Sheppard Ave to starting point so I'll likely follow that. It's going to be cold so I want to keep speed down. If anyone is interested in hooking up let me know...
We rode the Oak ridges trail three weeks ago before all this mayhem when Toronto was bone dry for a while. We had +10c temps for a while. We thought the trails will be just fine. Wrong!!! Anywhere with slight shade was sheer ice. Both feet on the ground sliding, first gear, crashing left and right lol. We were testing our bikes for our Moab. We had to ride.
I think it's a good idea to push this ride by at least a week or two if it's supposed to be fun.
We still have close to 6" of snow in Lindsay. I agree with Keener.
We have a minimum of 6 inches of heavy wet snow on the ground over top of 1-2 inches of ice here in Bethany that will not be going anytime soon with the forecast. The gravel sideroads will be a sloppy mess let alone any trails that may deem passable.
Thanks everyone for the local updates.
We'll be out in the next couple of days to access the situation.
So I drove to Haugen's this morning ... pic attached ...
I live just north, the area is still fully covered by snow/ice/slush. It is currently snowing again, but the milder temps are certainly melting a bit, enough to flood most small rivers in the area. I doubt that the rest of the white stuff will disappear in the next 3 days. If it does, I would highly recommend some sort of flotation device, or a row boat
Here is a pic of one of the trails on our farm in Bethany yesterday. Lots of snow to navigate let alone the ice and water underneath.
Gotta be moved. Please.
The Bethany Ride will still be held on Sunday April 22nd but expect some dramatic changes to the routes and terrain we can traverse responsibly on two wheels at this point. Moving the event tonext week or the week after is unfortunately not an option.
Last weekend’s winter storm has left behind more than 3 to 5 inches of hard packed snow and ice in the Port Perry/Bethany area. We had hoped for warmer weather this week to melt the snow and give us a chance to assess the damages and condition of on our planned route but that simply has not happened as “winter” is still very much a reality here.
Even with sun and double digit temperatures forecast for later this week and for the weekend, the snow, ice, and water will most likely still be an unwanted obstacle on Sunday. Most of the unmaintained roads we traditionally use for the dual sport portion this event will remain snow covered, icy, severely wet, and full of downed trees and low hanging branches.
As a result, the default route for both the “Dual Sport” and “Adventure” riders for this weekend’s event will be changed to use primarily maintained gravel roads. All riders will essentially ride the newly developed “Adventure Route” which is longer, uses primarily gravel roads and will incorporate some interesting points of interest and scenic areas along way. Lunch will still be at Couches Dinner in Bethany. The GPS files and details for this route will be made available on Thursday evening for you review.
We will be out scouting the area on our bikes on Friday and Saturday and will to develop some “Challenge” options based on our ability to responsibly traverse select unmaintained roads. These options will be released as optional GPS routes on Saturday evening and will be discussed in detail at the Sunday morning riders meeting.
Please join us for a fun day of spring riding and socializing. After all, riding your dual sport or adventure bike anywhere on a warm spring day is still better than staying home and just thinking about it!
The weather is forecast to be warm and sunny. Let’s get out and ride even if its only on gravel roads!
We will also start planning a second full version of this ride for later in the spring season when conditions are more suitable and we can ride the entire route and have more resources available. Stay tuned for more details
It’s also worth mentioning that recent incidents regarding early season off road riding in the area have sparked a lot local controversy. Please ride responsibly, be aware of the impact on the environment and the image you portray to others.
Would it be possible to get the original routes you guys had planned? That way perhaps in a week or two when it does get better perhaps we could have a go at it?
Once we pre ride the route we will consider publishing it.
Well I'm still going.
I went down an unopened road by my place in Bewdley. I thought it was covered in hard packed snow, but it turned out to be a really thick layer of ice with a bout an inch of snow ontop.
I figured most of that out while sliding on my ass for 10m with the bike ontop of me. haha
Switching the route sucks, but I think it is a very good call and will still be an excellent way to spend sunday.
The adventure route is like bad pizza, its still pretty good
Separate names with a comma.