Algonquin 2010...... Lots of Photos

For when a comment in the original ride posting isn't enough

Algonquin 2010...... Lots of Photos

Postby Randy_K » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Algonquin 2 day Ride June 19 & 20 , 2010

Friday

Rudy and I left Cambridge with the Bata and Husky in the back of my truck at 6:30 AM Friday. After running some back roads to skip the Toronto traffic we entered Algonquin Park around 11:00.

By 1:00 we had arrived at the AllStar Resort checked in and were ready to go for a quick ride.

We went down the rail trail and stopped to take a few photos along the Madawaska River.

We found one of the options for Saturdays ride and decided to give it a try as kind of a warm up for the weekend of riding we had come for.

A quick tour down the hydro cut rounded out a nice pre weekend warm up

Back to the AllStar Resort and cooked up a few steaks on our deck and we were good.

Friday night we got to visit with a lot of friends , some I had not seen since the last time I did this ride 3 years ago. We turned in by midnight and were ready for anything the “Algonquin” could throw at us the next day, or so we thought ….
Last edited by Randy_K on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 His and hers Husky TE 630 True Dual Sport
1977 Can Am 250 Qualifier Vintage MX
1977 Yamaha TY 175 Vintage Trials
1974 Suzuki RL 250 Vintage Trials
1976 Honda CB 550F Vintage Street

http://www.youtube.com/user/TE450Pilot
Randy_K
ODSC/OFTR Member

Re: Algonquin 2010

Postby Randy_K » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Saturday

We were up at 6:30 Am and going over the bikes for the days ride. We purchased breakfast for $7.00 then got our bike gear on and headed to the riders meeting at 9:00 AM. I heard of numbers of riders ranging from 150 to 175 riders either way it was a good turn out. At the meeting we were all warned of the last option of the day. A Expert Level 5 with a deeeep water crossing that was 15 km long. We were told that riders would not be allowed to enter this option after 4:00 PM.

The morning ride was the typical Algonquin stuff. Lots of rock , hills and mud. Funny how a small uphill section can become such a challenge when you scatter it with large rocks and cover it with mud.

The first gas stop and lunch was at High Country Lodge. The food was good and it was a nice break.

After lunch we did a few options on the way to the second gas stop. The dam crossing was slick as He!! But we made it across. It was great the way everyone was helping each other.

The second Gas stop was in Whitney. We all fueled up and headed out for the last leg of the ride. The trails so far had been nice but challenging , the options we did were a level 3.5 a bit tough but doable for us.

With my “Trusted” friend leading we blasted down some high speed trails. This stuff was similar to a rail trail but was winding amongst the trees. Fun stuff and easy trails to end the day on.

Has anyone ever told you something that sounded like it “might” be true? Well for some reason the arrows on the trail changed colour. We looked around and only saw a “wrong way” sign and one wrong coloured arrow. Not sure what to do Rudy convinced me “they must have ran out of the right coloured arrows.” The trail got harder and harder with increasingly tough up hill sections.

In some places the trail just ran up narrow rivers full of slimy rocks and branches.

I was sure we were not on the right trail , then we came to this.

Not wanting to go back through all the tough stuff we had spent the last hour going over Rudy decided to walk out 10 feet and see how deep it was.

It did not seem too deep and we knew we did not have the tools to dewater a bike we thought it would be within reason to cross. Rudy should have walked a bit further and he would have found the hole. I yelled at him when I stepped into it but he was already on his way.

Rudy was lucky to make it through. I hit a big rock on my way through and it sent me into the weeds. I hit the kill button thinking I was going down . I managed to grab some weeds to hold myself up. To my surprise my Husky fired right up and I put all the horsepower to work with my bike and me screaming like wounded animals making it to the end of the water crossing. We had about another hour of tough going until we got back to the main trail. I was to tired to take anymore photos today. We were back to the resort only about 30 minutes before the sweep riders.

We cleaned the air filters and checked over the bikes before getting cleaned up for dinner. Dinner was included with the ride entry. Roast beef , cabbage rolls, taters , corn , buns , salads.

I think the whole park turned in early, it was a long , long day , and we still had Sundays ride to go.
Last edited by Randy_K on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Randy_K
ODSC/OFTR Member

Postby Randy_K » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Sunday

I woke up at 6:00 am Sunday feeling like I had been hit by a truck. More specific , a dump truck full of Algonquin rocks. As I made my way out onto the deck I was reminded of how beautiful the area was. I looked over at the cabin beside us and saw all the event organizers were out on the deck. As I dragged my sore body down the stairs to unlock my bike one of the guys on our neighbours deck shouted out “ Suck it up Buttercup” Thanks I needed that.

We purchased the breakfast again today , then got our bike gear on and headed to the 9:00 am riders meeting. We were told that it would be an easy 100 km ride today. Only a few options , one with a double river crossing. The main route had one river crossing , with specific instructions. Cut the corner and you are a submarine. NICE !

We took the first option and soon got reminded how sore the muscles were. We came to a mud hole with a few stuck riders. We helped them out and blocked off part of the trail redirecting around the big mud hole.

After returning to the main trail we rode for a while then came down a hill and were suddenly at the rivers edge. I remember that I was told “go straight across to the island”

Next I was to ride along the edge of the island and look for the arrows pointing across the rest of the river.

Now go straight across the river. I was surprised to find several people in the river guiding riders along the right path. Among those I recognized were , Sue as well as Ken and Tracey from the OFTR. Some of you thought Ken was only a smooth talker , here he was in the river helping out.

A short ride later we were at the gas stop.

The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful . A nice mix of rocky tight trails and open trail.

This event was a ton of fun. I am sorry the rest of my riding buddies could not make it but Rudy and I had a ton of fun logging about 350 KM over three days. Like most rides one of the most enjoyable things is meeting up with old and new friends.

I hate to repeat myself but ,,, a big thank you to all those involved in putting on the Algonquin 2 Day Ride.

Randy
Last edited by Randy_K on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy_K
ODSC/OFTR Member

Postby mielkeg » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:41 pm

Had a great time at the Algonquin Ride. Took up my wife, 4 yr old and 8 yr old. Geoffrey who is my oldest and I rode on Saturday with Craig Penney and his 10 yr old Jonathan. We did 71 kms and the route that was suggested to us was to take the rail line to Whitney and than take the main loop back to Allstar Resort. We had lunch at Whitney and than the nice thing was that we were the first group of riders to head out on the main loop past Whitney. We had a little trouble on the muddy up hill a few kms out of town but did allright. We than saw that nice lake just after riding the Hydro Cut so we stopped for a swim. Sunday was spent fishing with both kids and a short 50 km ride with Craig and the boys. The whole family is covered with bug bites but it was a great weekend!

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mielkeg on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E
2007 Honda CRF80F (Oldest son)
2002 Yamaha TTR90 (Youngest Son)
1970 BSA Firebird Scrambler
mielkeg
Limited User

Postby SteveP » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:53 pm

Did the 4 year old ride??
SteveP
ODSC Executive

Postby mielkeg » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:25 pm

SteveP wrote:Did the 4 year old ride??

No he did not. He is just getting started on his machine. He's off the training wheels on his bicycle and I'm just pushing him around the yard to get him used to the brakes on his JR50. This is my 8 yr olds 5th summer on a bike and I'd say that except for the rail line the ride was a very though challange for him on his TTR90. When we got back from riding the 71 kms, he asked if he could go for a nap!
Gerry
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E
2007 Honda CRF80F (Oldest son)
2002 Yamaha TTR90 (Youngest Son)
1970 BSA Firebird Scrambler
mielkeg
Limited User

Postby Randy_K » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Saturdays ride report added to the top post ! 8-[

Randy_K
ODSC/OFTR Member

Postby SteveP » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:31 pm

EXCELLENT Saturday Synopsis!
SteveP
ODSC Executive

Postby sue » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:21 pm

Can't wait to read and see the photos of Sunday's Loop. You sure gave me some laughs with your Sat. report. All entrances were clearly marked with the correct coloured arrows - PINK - for options! Perhaps there may have been some Orange once inside the option (should not have been though) but once you are in .. you're in - there's no turning back! Give yourself a pat on the shoulder that you made it thru .. i think a lot of riders skipped that option because of the DEEEEEEEEEEP water warning. See you next year @ the Algonquin?? Or perhaps before that cuz I am sure you are now primed to take a stab at the Corduroy Enduro along with Rudy! :)
sue
Limited User

Postby Randy_K » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:57 pm

sue wrote:Can't wait to read and see the photos of Sunday's Loop. You sure gave me some laughs with your Sat. report. All entrances were clearly marked with the correct coloured arrows - PINK - for options! Perhaps there may have been some Orange once inside the option (should not have been though) but once you are in .. you're in - there's no turning back! Give yourself a pat on the shoulder that you made it thru .. i think a lot of riders skipped that option because of the DEEEEEEEEEEP water warning. See you next year @ the Algonquin?? Or perhaps before that cuz I am sure you are now primed to take a stab at the Corduroy Enduro along with Rudy! :)

Sue

You did a great job setting up this ride. I know you spent almost every weekend since April working on this for us to enjoy. I wish i had meet all the people who helped you to thank them personally.

THANK YOU very much , you are one class act. =D> =D>

Randy
SUE

Randy_K
ODSC/OFTR Member

Postby Randy_K » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:06 pm

Sundays report has been added to the top post now. :cheers:

Randy_K
ODSC/OFTR Member

Postby PaulB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Excellent - thanks for sharing.
PaulB
Limited User

Re: Algonquin 2010...... Lots of Photos

Postby creeksideMX » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Very cool Randy, that was a great report. Looks like it was a great time.
creeksideMX
Limited User

Postby Randy_K » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:42 pm

Finally got the YouTube video done.

Randy_K
ODSC/OFTR Member

Postby allan68 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm glad we avoided that deeep water option...I'm not sure my Ktm airbox could deal with that. [-o<
allan68
ODSC/OFTR Member

Return to Ride Reports